Friday 31 October 2008

My Writing Career So Far


My first novel: Pink as Perfume was based on my experiences as a scent technician on the perfume counter at Horn's department store. I wrote it very quickly - in fact, you could say that the manuscript 'came to me over night' - although I won't go into any more detail than that. A girl's got to have some secrets!

Unless you've been living in a hole in the ground for the past four years, you'll know that this book was a runaway success. The novel (and I!) received praise from such varied quarters as Cosmopolitan, who's fiction editor said it was 'a corker!' to the London Review of Books, who called it 'enthralling'.

I followed this up with a second novel, loosely based on the people I met while touring to promote Pink as Perfume. I called it Stalkers Always Wear Pink and the reviews for that one have been even better - just check out the links on the left hand side of this page!

The success of my first two novels enabled me to give up work at the perfume counter entirely and concentrate on my literary endeavours full time. There's been so much fan mail and requests for readings, however, that I've had to employ an assistant, otherwise I'd never get anything done! That's him on the left. If you write to me, he'll be the one who reminds me to reply to your letter! I think he's carrying in the fan mail in that picture!

Carlos is in charge of the typing, the errands, answering non important mail, keeping the fridge full of white wine and cheese triangles, and sometimes I even let him walk Sherlock. He's an accomplished salsa dancer, chef, manicurist and cat-burglar to boot. What more could a girl ask for, and what would I do without him? I love you, Carlos! xxx

It is thanks to Carlos and his talents, of which I have only just scraped the surface (you know what I'm talking about, Sweet Trousers! xxx) that my third novel, Pink as Chocolate will be launched on the 27th November, 2008. Hope to see you there!

No comments: